about ron tester
about me: serial entrepreneur and coach
My name is Ron Tester. I help startups and small business owners grow their businesses. I started my first business more than 19 years ago and have started several businesses since. I’ve also coached and consulted with many startups and small businesses as they were looking for ways to establish and grow their businesses.
When I first started out in business, I had no idea what sort of adventure I was beginning and what challenges I would face. I had a strong desire to change the world and a great idea for a business. What I didn’t have was real-world experience in starting a new business from scratch and making a go of it.
During my first few years in business, I hired several coaches to help me grow my business. Unfortunately, these coaches had never run a small business and had no idea what it was like to be in my position as a small business owner. They weren’t able to teach me what I needed to know or help me get where I wanted to go.
I kept persevering, though, and as my business became more successful, I began coaching startups and small business owners. One of the biggest challenges I heard from my clients was how to market effectively. Well my favorite book about marketing was (and is) Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port. After giving away dozens of copies of the book, I decided to get more training in the BYS system. So I participated in the Book Yourself Solid School of Coach Training and became a Certified BYS Coach. It’s a marketing system that’s proven, reliable and doable, and it can revolutionize your business. In time I also participated in the Center for Executive Coaching’s program and became a Certified Executive Coach.
I have an undergraduate degree from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, and I have a graduate degree in physical therapy from Texas Woman’s University in Denton, Texas.
I’m a regular participant in startup and entrepreneurial groups/meetups/events in and around North Texas.
I live in Corinth, Texas and have four terrific children.
About You: Starter, Doer and Difference-Maker
My ideal client is someone who has a vision, who wants to start something or has started something and wants to make a significant difference in the world. That difference may be an extraordinary service, an extraordinary product, or an extraordinary experience.
- Honest (honorable in principles, intentions, and actions; upright and fair).
- Intelligent (able and willing to learn, quick to comprehend).
- Empathetic (understanding).
- Positive (naturally optimistic, characterized by affirmation, addition, inclusion, or presence rather than negation, withholding, or absence).
- Resilient (keep coming back).
- Forward-thinking (focused on the future, not dwelling on the past).
- Courageous (face their fears).
- Expansive/Inclusive (they bring significant benefit to both individuals and large groups of people in a genuine, enduring manner).
- Relational (they invest in and gain value from relationships with me and others).
- Naturally collaborative (they contribute to and focus on their solutions).
- Decisive (able to make decisions quickly and take action to achieve a result).
- Rapid responders (talk today, done tomorrow).