About Me: Serial Entrepreneur, Consultant and Writer
My name is Ron Tester. I help startup and small business owners grow their businesses. I started my first business more than 15 years ago and have started several businesses since. I’ve also consulted with many startups and small businesses as they were looking for ways to establish and grow their businesses.
I am an experienced problem solver in the world of startups and small businesses. As an entrepreneur myself, I approach everything I do from an entrepreneurial mindset, always looking for a better way. I am optimistic by nature and tend to view people in a positive light. I am a voracious reader and I believe in seeking out, adopting/adapting and implementing best practices. I am also a bit of a perfectionist.
When I first started out in business, I had no idea what sort of adventure I was beginning and the challenges I would face. I had a strong desire to change the world, a great idea for business and a lot of theory. What I didn’t have was real-world experience in starting a new business from scratch and making a go of it. During my first few years in business, in addition to reading hundreds of books (literally), I hired several consultants from several different firms. I knew I needed help and these people had fancy resumes, shiny suits, and looked like the Masters of the Universe. Unfortunately, these consultants came from large companies and consulting firms and had no idea what it was like to be in my position. No matter what anyone tells you, a startup is not the same as a functioning small business, and a small business is not a small version of a big business. In the end, these consultants had platitudes, not practical ideas for a startup/small business like mine.
I have an undergraduate degree from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, and I have a graduate degree in physical therapy from Texas Woman’s University in Denton, Texas.
I’m a regular participant in startup and entrepreneurial groups/meetups/events in and around North Texas.
I live in Corinth, Texas and have four terrific children.
About You: Starter, Doer and Difference-Maker
My ideal client is someone who has a vision, who wants to start something or has started something and wants to make a significant difference in the world. That difference may be an extraordinary service, an extraordinary product, or an extraordinary experience.
- Honest (honorable in principles, intentions, and actions; upright and fair).
- Intelligent (able and willing to learn, quick to comprehend).
- Empathetic (understanding).
- Positive (naturally optimistic, characterized by affirmation, addition, inclusion, or presence rather than negation, withholding, or absence).
- Resilient (keep coming back).
- Courageous (face their fears).
- Expansive/Inclusive (they bring significant benefit to both individuals and large groups of people in a genuine, enduring manner).
- Relational (they invest in and gain value from relationships with me and others).
- Naturally collaborative (they contribute to and focus on their solutions).
- Decisive (able to make decisions quickly and take action to achieve a result).
- Rapid responders (talk today, done tomorrow).